Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Rob told me to!

Aquarius (Jan 20-Feb 18)
It's Wallow in Your Envy and Jealousy Week. During this holiday, you may in good conscience explore your covetous resentments and plumb the depths of your longing for what others have attained. Here's the payoff: Giving yourself this perverse pleasure should keep you relatively free from envy and jealousy for the next three months. To get yourself in the mood, read this excerpt from Dave Morrison's poem "Jealous": "I am jealous of those who do stupid things and feel no shame. I am jealous of the dead for their reduced workload, jealous of newborn babies for their clean records. I'm jealous of those older than me for what they know, and those younger than me for what they don't. I am jealous of dogs who don't think about living, or dying, they just do."


In an effort to heed Rob's words of wisdom, I'm going to take this opportunity to get in touch with my green eyed monster friend!

-I am now and will always be jealous of Huck's innate ability to talk to people. Not only can she talk to whomever, wherever, she also has the talent to make the person she's speaking to feel quite special. And the gal can literally talk to ANYONE about ANYTHING. She's also got the annoyingly wonderful habit of knowing just what to say and when to say it. She's actually made homemade marshmallows! She's one of the most beautiful women I've ever known and yet she won't bat an eye at making a complete ass of herself and allowing me to document it. She's got this quiet confidence that just sort of shines from her that I wish I could bottle up and use for my own. She's insanely smart and knows at least something about almost everything. Meh!

-I genuinely covet Q's gift for accessorizing. She takes some risks fashion wise but always manages to pull it off without looking or seeming like a fashion snob. Her choices are not so outrageous as to seem weird but rather leave her looking a bit more polished than myself. And! It's all done on a budget! Very cool. I'm jealous of Q's ability to give 100% to whatever she's doing even if she hates it. I feel like Q is always a stellar employee. She always puts her friends needs in front of her own, she throws a MEAN party, and I sense a lack of fear in her that I wish I could make my own.

- I envy my brother's proficiency with words. Not only is he a stupidly good writer but he can tell a story like nobody's business. To boot, I'm also very jealous of how funny he is. Hands down, now and through the years, P's at the very top of my "Funniest People I Know" list. I know a butt load of funny people and P is funnier than all of them combined. That's a feat, trust me.

-I'm jealous of my other brother's dedication to doing what he wants to do, when he wants to do it, how he wants to do it. I look up to and respect the fact that when other folks try to tell him how he should live his life, Javi just kinda listens to it and continues doing his own thing.

-I'm envious of how secure Sassy is with herself. I'm also jealous of the fact that she can run several miles and not need a trip to the ER afterwards, her crazy good vocal abilities, her aptitude at improving, her mad skillz in the kitchen, the fact that she's good at everything, including the stuff she hates to do! I'd sell my children to the devil for arms like hers, and there is literally not a single person I know who doesn't lurve her. I often wonder what it would feel like to be that loved.

-I covet AB's ability to tell it like it is, her height, her flaming red hair, her wicked good vocal ability, her unbelievable intelligence in areas that are completely foreign to me, her commitment to being healthy, her ability to "play the game" job wise, her super cool fashion sense, the amount of dedication and determination with which she attacks things.

-I'm jealous of Mel's ability to take the high road, of her infinite wisdom in all aspects of life, the way she continues to love and grow regardless of how she's been hurt in the past, her deliriously beautiful vocal talents, how she stands up and fights for the ones she loves, her serene inner calm, her ability to use color and materials to create her own space, her eye for the aesthetic.

-I envy the way Kiki will jump head first into everything she does, the way she will risk things that I'm too scared to, her lack of fear in all aspects of her life, her unbelievably generous heart and nature, her lust for life, her boldness, her sense of humor (she's held the #2 spot on my list since I've known her), the way she loves the things that she loves with all of her heart.

-I covet Donald's seemingly endless knowledge of all things pop culture related, the fact that he can fix just about anything, his mashed potato skills and the fact that he always looks so cool.

-I am stupidly jealous of Frank's abilities as an actor, his fearlessness in everything he does, the complete lack of self doubt that I see in him, his commitment to his rather hedonistic lifestyle, his ability to put it all on the line for the things that he believes in, his willingness to trust a short Bolivian girl enough to move across the country for her.

-I envy my dear Mattie G's childlike enthusiasm, his willingness to seek out the good and beautiful in people, his mad skillz with instruments, his endless persistence in obtaining the things he wants.

-I'm jealous of the way Lala creates opportunities for herself, of the artist she is and is becoming, of the commitment she shows to making this world a better place, the fact that she's a little white girl from CO and she speaks Spanish better than I do and she's fluent in Portuguese. I envy how comfortable she is in her own skin.

Ok, whew! It's a bit exhausting to think of all of the things that make you jealous about the people you know. I may have to revisit this topic, because there is still plenty of stuff for me to be jealous about!

What are you all jealous of?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i lurv you with the intensity of a thousand lifetimes! And I'm jealous of you hair, boobs, lashes, skintone, and passion...and alfajores making skills!

Q said...

I feel like this is healthy, and it makes me feel good about my jewelry box - thanks. I'm so jealous of you on stage that I'm pretty sure I've become you on stage before. I'm uber jealous of the fun spirit you are consistent with, that makes people yearn to be around you - just to get a piece of it. And interestingly enough, since the age of 19, I've always been jealous of your shoes. Those patent red mj's just dig at me! - Q

Anonymous said...

Jeez, thanks Maaal.