Saturday, February 28, 2009



I've been MIA lately and I can't quite figure out if it's because I have nothing to say or if it's because I have a little too much going on in my head and I can't seem to grab onto a thread of thought for long enough to untangle it from the big knotted ball of thoughts.

Which leads me straight into the arms of my current thought which is about a wonderful book I read when I was younger called Maniac Magee which is a really great book if you ever get the chance to read it.
There are two things that stand out in my memory about the book. One is a scene where Maniac is racing another kid and Maniac is so fast and is such a badass that he actually turns around during the tail end of the race and finishes the race running backwards. The other is that the little corner store in the book sells these...like, butterscotch tarts? I think they're tarts. They're definitely butterscotch. Anyway, Maniac? Huge fan of these pastries. Maniac gets a lifetime supply of these tarts after unraveling a huge ball of knots that no one else has been able to undo.

I like stories about plucky orphans. Maniac Magee, Anne of Green Gables, James and the Giant Peach. James was an orphan wasn't he? Weren't his parents killed by a rhinoceros or something? Am I completely making this up?!

I could sit here and talk about the books I read as a kid all night but I won't. That's another post.


I've been watching Friday Night Lights lately and it's really made me want to buy a pair of cowboy boots to wear with my dresses in the summer. I'm thinking I may have to road test some boots to see if it's a look I can pull off. There are several "looks" that I desperately want to be able to pull off but just can't. Skinny jeans tucked into tall boots? Love that look, will be caught dead before actually wearing it out. Lala frequently rocks the dress over jeans look and it's so cute on her! I feel like I'd look like a nerd if I tried to rock it.

However, I can do some truly badass stuff with my hair, so I guess it kinda evens out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unless said tall boots over skinny jeans ends up lending itself to a weird gestapo look.

I need to screen more carefully before throwing a change of clothes into the bag.