The above quote is from Miguel de Cervantes and speaks pretty succinctly to my mood right now. I've been trying to figure out some things as of late and, unfortunately, find myself dealing with someone who can only be called out as a coward. I loath cowardice. Truly, I do. I'm not saying that I'm the bravest person in the world, I'm not saying that I don't have my cowardly moments but I cannot comprehend people who live their lives in fear. Yes, the unknown can be terrifying but how, how can someone continue to lie to themselves and everyone around them in order to never risk anything? I put myself in situations where looking like an idiot is pretty much a certainty, but does that stop me? No. Some folks might call that reckless but at least I end up knowing where I stand even if that knowledge comes at quite a painful price.
A wise man once told me "Nerve is only something that can be displayed in the realm of fear. Fear is an opportunity to demonstrate courage. When you face your fears, you'll find you're still alive at the end of the end." I know folks who have gone through things scarier than I could even imagine and all of them have come out on the other side stronger and more alive because they didn't allow that fear to rule their lives. I think of two dear friends who risking so much to be with me right now and when I look at them, I see the fear but it's buried behind a great deal of faith and hope and courage. The fear they feel in no way outweighs the possibility, not even the certainty, but the possibility that we could create something beautiful and true and real.
So my question is: How is it possible that I'm surrounded by some of the most courageous people on this planet and also be exposed to one of the world's largest cowards? Risk something!! Take the chance to look like a fool!! I would give you anything for one sign of guts and spirit. Leave the safety of your friends opinions of you and surprise them and yourself for once. Be brave and screw your courage. Be brave or leave me the hell alone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I love you. The end.
S
Amelia I hate to always do this to you, but you never address the real problem. Which is your own braveness. So that's my challenge to you is to be braver, and lead by more of an example. As for what you actually said, you're too awesome and too in love with yourself to wait around for someone to be brave. This person doesn't sound like he's worth the effort. So in short be braver, and let the cowards fight over the scraps from your table.
Shot, I am brave! To a fault actually... maybe that makes me reckless?
no, being brave cannot be just being reckless. There are things you are holding on to, and I dare you to let go of them.
Sometimes, there are people who momentarily lack bravery and just need the proper encouragement and support to turn it all around.
Other times, cowardice is not lack of bravery, but rather laziness, complacency and lack of initiative.
The latter is not something on which to waste your time. They are the only ones who can decide for themselves to stop being impotent members of society.
Nobody ever benefitted from pitying a limp dick, especially not the dick.
I can get on board with what you're throwing down Huck.
There are cold doses for all ailments.
Retirement ... traveling and sanwiches.
Post a Comment