Two roads diverged in a wood and I-I took the road less traveled by, And that has made all the difference...
Saturday, September 15, 2007
Overheard at the coffee shop today:
Little Girl: Did you know Walt Disney was Hispanic?
Mother: What?
Little Girl: I just read on the computer that Walt Disney was Hispanic.
Mother: I did not know that.
Who knew?
2 comments:
Anonymous
said...
It's weird that when you look at his photo you have to admit it's hard to pin any ethnicity on him. If the contribution to wikipedia isn't totally full of shit, he's more like Irish and German. He's also from Missouri. I love what the man has done, but let's not forget that early Disney animation was riddled with overtones of some pretty strong ethnic stereotypes... Only a white man would allow that during that part of the 20th century.
Yeah, let's not forget 'Song of the South', a movie so full of racial stereotypes that it is no longer sold or released in this country.
After I overheard that conversation my immediate reaction was "What?! No he isn't." However, not wanting to look like an idiot in case I had missed that vital piece of information, I looked about to see what I could find on Mr. Disney. I found nothing even hinting to any Hispanic heritage in his background so I have to wonder where that little gal got her info. Kids are crazy!
I'm short. I'm bratty. I have a lot of hair that I like to throw around. I threaten to drop everything to become an eyelash model. I teeter between mind-numbing arrogance and devestating insecurity. I believe whole heartedly in the goodness of man, even though many of them have given me plenty of reason not to.
2 comments:
It's weird that when you look at his photo you have to admit it's hard to pin any ethnicity on him. If the contribution to wikipedia isn't totally full of shit, he's more like Irish and German. He's also from Missouri. I love what the man has done, but let's not forget that early Disney animation was riddled with overtones of some pretty strong ethnic stereotypes... Only a white man would allow that during that part of the 20th century.
Yeah, let's not forget 'Song of the South', a movie so full of racial stereotypes that it is no longer sold or released in this country.
After I overheard that conversation my immediate reaction was "What?! No he isn't." However, not wanting to look like an idiot in case I had missed that vital piece of information, I looked about to see what I could find on Mr. Disney. I found nothing even hinting to any Hispanic heritage in his background so I have to wonder where that little gal got her info. Kids are crazy!
Post a Comment