So, at my new job part of my responsibilities are to participate in classes and sort of be an example to them kids, keep them in line, keep them from killing each other, etc, etc, etc. I am currently fulfilling these duties in a stage combat class. (On a side note, apparently I'm kind of a badass in stage combat! Who knew?!)
Now the reason for the title of this post has less to do with the fact that I don't like teaching and more to do with the fact that I can't help laughing at the kids. I mean... kids generally say silly things or fall down unexpectedly and it kinda seems like it's a teacher's job to not bust a gut when those things happen. It doesn't help that Mr. Hollywood says things like "Sometimes it seems like we've got a class full of retards." By the by, Mr. Hollywood is a producer/actor/director from La La Land. How he got involved with WC is a mystery but regardless, he's good times. Anyhoo, I literally can't help straight up laughing at these kids and for the most part the kiddies understand that I just have that type of sense of humor and that I'm not trying to humiliate them. For the most part...
My two favorite kids in this class are K-Lee and Jackie. They are sisters, Mexican and absolutely hilarious. I mention they're nationality only because we speak mostly in Spanish although K-Lee is a rock star and tries very hard to speak to me in English. It took me a while to figure out why I liked K-Lee so much and I finally realized that it's because she's Q in miniature. Same looks, same expressions, same bubbly personality. If that wasn't reason enough to lurve this little girl, she also happens to be a pretty awesome little actor. Now her sister Jackie can't do anything to save her life which is precisely the reason I like her so much. Jackie's in 11th grade and she has the motor skills of 2 year old. I'm serious!! If I didn't know her, I might think that she was touched but she's not! She just has zero coordination. She'll fall down if you look at her funny. Mr. Hollywood will watch her work on the punches and stuff and he just stops and shakes his head.
Aside from laughing at the kids, I still don't believe myself to be cut out for teaching. I think you need a calling to do it and I definitely don't have that. Not to mention that I have, like, zero tolerance for kids who act like they're stupid talented because they're cute or something. It causes me to say things to them that I'm probably not really allowed to say. Oops.
Alright, effers, my days are very long these days and I'm absolutely knackered. 'Ta!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You never acted when you were a kid...luckily. The only actor children I knew were pretentious primadonnas. There are a few exceptions to this, but I think most of the kids who will grow up to be good actors are too busy living their lives and being children to be bothered to try out for the next play at the local little theatre.
Just be glad you aren't teaching at a talent studio or something where there are stage moms. Ewwwww.
Post a Comment