Wednesday, March 19, 2008

"Save us!!"...and I'll look down and whisper "No"...


With the release of several pictures and some hype about the upcoming Watchmen movie, I thought I'd pick up a copy and give this particular graphic novel another shot. I read it some time ago and didn't care too much for it. Something about it, though I can't quite remember what, didn't sit well with me. Occasionally with this medium, certain things about a graphic novel or comic book can turn me off. Art is a big one. There was a...what was it? A Wonder Woman or perhaps Powergirl book/series that used old school art, at least at the beginning and I couldn't read the damn thing because it looked like one giant comic strip from the funny pages. One of the main reasons I enjoy Fables as much as I do is because it's really rather pretty, especially the covers. I also enjoy the Buffy, Season 8 series because they've done a good job with the likenesses of the characters.

The paper that a graphic novel/comic book is printed on is important to me as well. I couldn't even touch Batman: A Death in the Family because the version I had access to was, like, newsprint. Like a newspaper. Ugh.

Now, the art in Watchmen isn't pretty by any means but it doesn't tear at me the way some do. And it's an Alan Moore work so the writing is rad enough that I can forgive somewhat ugly art, much the same way I do for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. That series has really ugly artwork but it works so well in the context of the story that I can forgive Mr. Moore and Mr. O'Neill quite easily.

At any rate, I'm going to give Watchmen another shot, maybe read it a bit more carefully. I'll definitely go back and read the book excerpts that I ignored last time. Maybe the whole thing will make a bit more sense this time around...

I've wandered into a few comic book shops around this town (The Burque has SEVERAL and they're all pretty well stocked from the look of things.) but I find the task of picking up new material a bit daunting. I picked up Civil War recently and I read that but I don't know where to go with that series from there. I miss spending time with Batman. I even find myself wondering what Superman is up to but these characters have been around for so damn long that I don't know what's worth reading or where to start. I'm not even sure what's happening with my favorite stories like Fables or Y: The Last Man.

Perhaps I need to do more research...

2 comments:

The Duck said...

I am glad that you are giving it another shot. Nice quote in the headline.

Y is done, as in finished, as in complete. The last collection should be out in June (Fables, too).

As far as Bats and Supes, the easiest way is to pick up the current collections of Justice League of America. I believe the first collection is called The Tornado's Path and the second is The Lightning Saga.

There is also another LoEG book out called The Black Dossier.

And if you haven't picked up Dynamo 5, yet, it is well worth it.

Happy reading.

Earhart said...

Cool, thanks for the suggestions.