Sunday, September 11, 2005

DAMN!

I went to an anonymous sandwich shop today for lunch today and my order was taken by a young lass of about 17 or 18. Now first off, when she comes to help me there is no "Hello", "How can I help you?", "What can I get you?', nothing. She merely looks at me with her heavily lined eyes and a vacant stare. So I say "Umm, I'd like a tuna and cheese sandwich on wheat, please." She proceeds to cut the loaf of bread for my meal and ends up making two grossly uneven halves of bread. She, of course, gives me the smaller one. This I don't mind too much, but still, it was odd. She puts the first touches on my sandwich and then moves down to the vegetable and condiment section. Once again, she merely looks up at me, wordlessly, as if actually talking to me would take away from the obvious ennui that she is suffering from. So I say "Ummm...ok. Tomatoes, a little bit of mustard, salt, pepper, vinegar and oil." She grabs the mustard bottle and squeezes the bottle. Hard. A giant globby line of bright yellow now mars the lovely sandwich I had planned. Great. I grumble under my breath and grudgingly hand my money over to pay for this sad excuse of a sandwich.

I'm amazed at the youth of today that I am so barely removed from. Why are adolescents so bored and pissed off? What the hell do they have to complain about? I wanted to grab this girl and shake her and say "You are much too young to be acting this blase about life. You think that this bored attitude makes you interesting and unique?!?! It doesn't! All it does is make me fear for the future! You know nothing about anything. Get off your fucking cell phone and read a freakin book for God's sake!!!"

The shittiest thing about this entire encounter however, is that when I ate my sandwich, it tasted good. Really good. Dammit.

1 comment:

Admin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.