Wednesday, March 28, 2007

OBSESSION: (n) compulsive preoccupation

There have been several times in my life when I have become obsessed with something. The object of my obsession can be anything: a song, a movie, a tv show, an actor. The very first memory I have of this is a highly illogical fixation with the movie Romancing the Stone. I have no idea why or how but I vividly recall watching that movie until the video casette began to wear out. I know several things followed suit but the next one that sticks out in my mind is a wicked Christian Bale fetish. I saw everything that Mr. Bale had ever done, including Empire of the Sun, Anastasia, and Pocahontas (he provided a voice for the animated Disney movie). I mean, I was obsessed with a capital "O". For a long while I was fascinated with a bleach blond vampire and a ridiculously beautiful and disgustingly arrogant gay man. The first summer I was in Appalachia I was so completely obsessed with a Rufus Wainwright song that I drove people crazy listening to it all the time. Once I was so taken with a particular lip curl performed by Meatloaf in The Rocky Horror Picture Show that I was sure something was wrong with me...mentally.

One evening I had this discussion with Kristi and Bre and Kristi readily and enthusiastically revealed that one of her obsessions was the fella who played Elvis on that short lived Elvis tv show and I'm 99.9% sure he also played Link in Hairspray. I would say that Huck was much too sensible to fall victim to this petty fixating but she's the one who introduced me to the aforementioned bleached vampire.

I was hoping that I'd outgrown this silly habit but it's reared it's ugly in full force this evening. A while ago Q mentioned a new musical called Spring Awakenings. She mentioned that some of the music was ok so I took some time tonight to check it out. I wanted to know the story of the music I was listening to so I went to the official website and found a video for one of the songs. I've watched that video at least 10 times now and I'm positively sure that it's just the beginning. I can't even pinpoint what it is that has me hooked but I know this feeling all too well. So I apologize for the fact that I'll be completely wrapped up in this ridiculous video until I've exhausted it thoroughly.

For anyone who's interested in what I'm doing with my time:
http://www.springawakening.com/spring_awakening_video.php

I'd try to analyze why I'm so completely taken with this video but I'm pretty sure it would reveal parts of myself that are better left in the dark!

1 comment:

Q said...

I get it, I get it. I checked it out and I'm with you on what we discussed.
But after we discussed and before I could check it out - I saw her again - Lady TRex. And I've perfected her moves.